We don’t eat beef very often in our house, so when we do I make sure to make a meal that highlights the beef and brings out the great flavor. What better way to do that than with a delicious and hearty Beef Stew. After the beef has been cooking all day it basically falls apart in your mouth and the flavor is just astounding. Potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, beef, and creamy gravy, not sure it gets much better than that!
This was also a really easy meal to make gluten free. Most gluten free flours I have tried work great when you need to just thicken up a soup or gravy and it worked beautifully for this recipe as well. My go to for thickening soups and gravy is usually Bobs Red Mill Gluten Free Brown Rice Flour because I usually have that on hand for a lot of other recipes, but gluten free all purpose flour or cornstarch should work well too.
I usually like to brown up the beef a bit in a pan before adding everything to the slow cooker. This gives the beef a nice sear and additional flavor that you don’t get from just slow cooking. If you don’t have time to do that or just aren’t feeling up to it, this beef stew is still so delicious just throwing everything in the slow cooker and letting it cook all day.
I would love to hear about some yummy meals that you make that showcase beef. Some of my favorites are this beef stew, shepherd’s pie, and of course a good ole fashioned hamburger every now and then. I hope you enjoy this beef stew as much as my family does!
- 2 1/2 – 3 lbs beef stew meat
- 3–4 medium russet potatoes
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 1/2 tbs gluten free brown rice flour
- 2 tbs olive oil for sauteing beef
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1 1/2 tbs gluten free Worcestershire sauce
- Chop carrots, celery, and onion. Peel and chop potatoes into 1-2 inch cubes.
- Season beef with a pinch of salt and pepper and coat in 1/2 tbs brown rice flour.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add beef and let brown on all sides.
- While beef is browning, add all other ingredients except for brown rice flour to the slow cooker/instant pot.
- Add beef to the slow cooker/instant pot and stir.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours. If cooking in an Instant Pot, close the lid on the pressure cooker and make sure you are NOT venting. Select the Meat/Stew setting which should be pre-programmed to cook for 40 minutes.
- Once the stew is done cooking, add 3 tbs of brown rice flour to thicken the stew and stir
- Serving Size: 6
For This Recipe, I Recommend:
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!