I ran across the idea of avocado chicken salad a few months ago and thought it was brilliant! It looked so easy to make and avocados are super healthy so any excuse to eat more of them is a win in my mind. As I was researching avocado chicken salad recipes to find one that I wanted to try, I realized that the ingredients were very similar to guacamole. Most consisted of avocado, lime, onion, and cilantro. So I thought, why not bump it up a bit and just make up some of my delicious guacamole and mix it in with some shredded chicken?
I actually had already made a big batch of shredded chicken in the slow cooker to have for lunches during the week so I had some shredded chicken ready to go. I threw together some guacamole and mixed it with the chicken and a delicious and healthy meal was ready in no time. My husband was very excited to have another reason to eat guacamole and this was one of the quickest dinners my daughter has ever eaten (meaning she loved it!). Those of you with children have probably experienced the hour long dinners where the adults finish in about 20 minutes and watch the kids eat for another 40. Well not with this meal!
My daughter and husband usually like to eat the avocado chicken salad in a tortilla, but there are so many ways you could serve this. Serve over some chips to make nachos, or between some bread to make a sandwich, or even just all by its delicious self. I advise keeping the chicken and guacamole separate until serving because the guacamole will not keep the next day for leftovers like the chicken will. We never have any problem eating all the guacamole in one evening and any left over chicken makes great lunches for the upcoming week. I hope you all enjoy this avocado chicken salad as much as we do!
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp minced onion
- 2 medium avocados
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1 small lime juiced
- 1/2 cup tomato diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Place chicken breasts in your slow cooker/Instant Pot.
- Add two cups of vegetable broth, 2 cloves of garlic minced, and 1/2 tsp minced onion.
- Cook in the slow cooker on high for 3 hours. If cooking in an Instant Pot, close the lid and make sure you are NOT venting. Select the Poultry setting which should be pre-programmed to cook for 20 minutes.
- Shred chicken once cooked (I use two forks to shred the chicken).
- Once chicken is cooked, combine all of the guacamole ingredients in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher.
- Add shredded chicken to the guacamole mixture and stir well
- Serve on tortillas, bread, or just eat it as is
For This Recipe, I Recommend:
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!