Yes, you read that title correctly, baked chocolate cake doughnuts that are gluten free, vegan, refined sugar free and taste amazing! That’s a sentence I never thought I would say. ? Before food allergies, I loved me some doughnuts (probably a little too much). Cake doughnuts were always one of my favorites. I mean you are eating a doughnut made out of cake, how does it get better than that. So you can imagine how excited I was to come across this recipe.
There are very few recipes on this blog that I haven’t had to modify in one way or another to meet my allergy needs, but this doughnut recipe was perfect as is. Already refined sugar free and everything (which is hard to come by)! I will say the glaze that this recipe originally called for was not refined sugar free so I went ahead and made a refined sugar free chocolate glaze which turned out amazing. The sweetener is also modified just a little to give the doughnuts a hint of maple syrup flavor.
The other awesome thing about this recipe is that these baked chocolate cake doughnuts are super easy to make. I’m also a kitchen gadget nerd and love the fact that I now own doughnut pans. That sounds silly, but I love being able to make these kinds of things at home and I think it will be a fun memory that my daughter will get to have, growing up making homemade doughnuts with mom. I know cooking with my daughter is already one of my favorite things to do.
The website that I found the doughnut recipe on is called delightfuladventures.com. I highly recommend you check out that website if you haven’t been there before. Not everything on that website meets all of my specific allergy needs, but there are a lot of delicious looking gluten free and vegan recipes on there that you all might enjoy. I’m so appreciative to other bloggers out there that are allergy conscious. It really is a challenge when you are first figuring out life with food allergies so it really has been a life savor to find some of these awesome blogs.
What are some of your favorite types of doughnuts? This is definitely at the top of my list now and I can’t wait to try other doughnuts recipes. Now that I know of this great doughnut recipe base, I feel like the doughnut possibilities are endless. I hope you all enjoy these baked chocolate cake doughnuts as much as my family does and I hope you get a chance to check out other recipes from delightfuladventures.com.
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 6 tbsp warm water
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free flour (I use Better Batter)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar, packed
- 6 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened milk of choice (I use So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 6 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 5 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, add flax seed and warm water and stir to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes to firm up.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and coconut sugar.
- To your flax seed mixture, add maple syrup, milk, vanilla, and coconut oil. Stir to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to the large bowl of dry ingredients and mix well.
- Use a piping bag to add the mixture to the doughnut pan.
- Bake the doughnuts for 10 minutes.
- After a few minutes, transfer to doughnuts to a cooling rack.
- Combine all ingredients and stir until no clumps remain.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper under your cooling rack.
- Dip each doughnut into the chocolate glaze mixture and place back on the cooling rack so the glaze can firm up.
- To make this process go faster, you can put the doughnuts on a tray or plate and place them in the refrigerator or freezer until the chocolate is firm
For This Recipe, I Recommend:
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!