This gluten free and vegan healthy banana bread is soft and has the most perfect sweet banana flavor. Not only does it taste amazing, but it is also refined sugar free banana bread making it the perfect treat for any time of the day!
Don’t forget to grab your FREE gluten free and dairy free Breakfast Recipes E-Cookbook at the bottom of the post!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!
I used to have a very strong love/hate relationship with banana bread.
I loved to eat it, but could not for the life of me figure out how to get the texture right for gluten free, vegan, and refined sugar free banana bread.
Whether it was too dry, too soft, or too crumbly it was just never what I wanted it to be.
I was also so nervous every time I would try a new recipe because banana bread typically uses a lot of ingredients. I didn’t want to waste them on a not so great result which had been my luck.
I’m not the type of person to give up though so the search continued.
Banana bread is pretty much the reason I buy bananas. I always tell myself we are going to eat them before they get too ripe.
I buy extra so I can have left overs for banana bread. Sure enough, about a week or so later, I have enough bananas to make 3 or 4 loafs of banana bread because I let all the bananas get too ripe.
This would be a good problem to have if I finally figured out a banana bread recipe that works for all of my food allergies!
Well my friends the perfect gluten free, vegan, and refined sugar free banana bread recipe has arrived. I would love to say I came up with it all on my own, but there was just no way I was going to get it right all by myself.
Trust me, I tried.
Luckily I stumbled across an intriguing recipe from MinimalistBaker.com.
There were a few things I needed to adjust for my allergies, but their recipe was a great starting point! The result was fantastic!
Finally, a delicious banana bread with the most perfect texture!
I’m always so thankful for the bloggers that have come before me and figured out secrets to allergy friendly cooking I would have never thought of otherwise.
Having multiple food allergies can be a real struggle sometimes, but knowing there are others out there going through similar things and persevering is truly amazing.
So let’s make some!
GLUTEN FREE BANANA BREAD RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
To make this recipe, you will need:
- Ripe bananas: The more ripe your bananas are, the sweeter they will be.
- Unsweetened Applesauce: Used as a substitute for eggs and oil in traditional banana bread.
- Coconut sugar: Coconut sugar is a great healthy alternative to brown sugar. You can use brown sugar in it’s place if desired.
- Maple syrup: For additional sweetness and flavor. You may also use honey or agave if you prefer.
- Unsweetened milk of choice: I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”
- Almond meal: Almond meal and almond flour are the same thing. Just make sure that it is fine ground.
- Gluten free flour blend: I use “Better Batter”, but “Bob’s Red Mill 1-1 all-purpose flour” would work great too. I haven’t tested other flours in this recipe.
- Gluten free oats: Oats provide additional nutrients and help with the overall texture of the bread.
- Chopped nuts or vegan chocolate chips: These are optional add in’s that provide even more flavor to this delicious banana bread.
- Pure vanilla extract
- Baking powder
HOW TO MAKE EASY GLUTEN FREE & VEGAN BANANA BREAD:
To make this banana bread:
- Preheat your oven: 350°F.
- Combine everything except the flours and oats: In a large bowl, mash the bananas and add all of the ingredients through milk and whisk together thoroughly.
- Mix in the flour and oats: Add almond meal, gluten free flour, and gluten free oats to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Add any extras: Optionally fold in chopped nuts or chocolate chips.
- Bake it: Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan. After baking for 50 min, check the banana bread to see if additional time is needed. The bread will be done when it is golden brown and firm.
- Let it cool: Allow the bread to cool completely before cutting into slices.
What are some recipes you struggled with after finding out you had allergies but got figured out over time?
I can’t wait to hear about them and hope you love this gluten free, vegan, and refined sugar free banana bread as much as I do!Print
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup packed coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2–3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup unsweetened milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend (I use “Better Batter“)
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free oats
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts or vegan chocolate chips (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas and add all of the ingredients through milk and whisk together thoroughly.
- Add almond meal, gluten free flour, and gluten free oats to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Optionally fold in chopped nuts or chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan.
- After baking for 50 minutes, check the banana bread to see if additional time is needed.
- The bread will be done when it is golden brown and firm.
- Allow the bread to cool completely before cutting into slices.
Looking for more gluten free and vegan breakfast recipes? Check out some of my favorites below!
To download your free printable gluten free and dairy free Breakfast Recipes E-Cookbook, please fill out the form below. This will give you access to all of the free e-cookbooks in my Resource Library.