These gluten free and vegan biscuits and gravy are amazing! We eat these pretty much every other week in my house. If you are a biscuit and gravy lover like I am then I am sure this recipe will be a huge hit!
I’ve loved biscuits and gravy since I was a little kid. I’m pretty sure my dad was the one who first introduced me to the delicious breakfast duo and ever since then anytime we would go to a breakfast restaurant I would order a big plate full of biscuits and gravy.
When I first found out about all of my food allergies I really REALLY struggled to figure out what to eat for breakfast. For a very long time I would eat oatmeal every single morning because it was the only thing that I knew how to make that I wasn’t allergic to.
Now, I still eat oatmeal pretty much 5 days a week, but the difference is that on the weekends I can make big family breakfasts with all the fixings.
Breakfast is no longer this huge obstacle for me. Instead, it is once again my favorite meal of the day. This biscuit and gravy recipe is one of the reasons why.
When I finally figured out this biscuit recipe, I had already tried at least 10 other gluten free biscuit recipes. Each attempt more disappointing than the last.
I could have cried when these biscuits came out of the oven. They were absolutely perfect and reminded me so much of the biscuits I got to eat when I was growing up.
It was a lot of trial and error, but now I have this awesome biscuit recipe so it was well worth it!
The other magical part of this recipe is the gravy. To be honest, this gravy recipe was pure luck and guessing. I had done some research in the past on how to make gravy, but all of the recipes I came across had dairy and gluten.
So when I looked into making a gluten free and vegan gravy recipe, my choices were limited. Luckily I had already stumbled across the BEST vegan butter (mentioned in the recipe) and knew that my dairy free coconut milk would make a great substitute for the milk.
I knew that I wanted to make this recipe completely vegan, so sausage in the gravy wasn’t going to work. Instead I decided to try mushrooms. The last trick, and usually the most challenging, is trying to figure out what kind of flour to use as a thickener.
This was earlier on in my gluten free cooking days so I wasn’t really sure what kinds of flours were best for different types of recipes. So I decided to wing it and use brown rice flour.
I had seen this type of flour in a ton of recipes online so I figured it would be a good neutral flour to use.
I was sweating the first time I made this gravy because I was just throwing together ingredients based on limited knowledge and hoping for the best. Well the best is what I got!
I could not believe how delicious this gravy turned out to be! It was creamy, savory, and the mushrooms gave it an amazing flavor. It was the perfect pairing for those delicious gluten free and vegan biscuits.
Biscuits and gravy had seemed like an impossible feat at the time but no more! We eat these pretty much every other week in my house and I’ve even figured out a way to make this recipe into a vegan biscuit pot pie recipe so we can eat it for dinner as well!
If you are a biscuit and gravy lover like I am, and love this recipe then you should definitely check out that vegan biscuit pot pie recipe and let me know what you think! I hope this gluten free and vegan biscuits and gravy recipe makes you as happy as it does me!Print
Biscuit Dry Ingredients
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup millet flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour/starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Biscuit Wet Ingredients
- 6 tbsp vegan butter, cubed (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1 cup of dairy free milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
For the Mushroom Gravy
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 3 tbsp vegan butter (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery sticks”)
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup dairy free milk (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
To Make the Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Put the cubed butter in a bowl and place in the freezer.
- Mix together the milk and apple cider vinegar and set to the side.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients in a large bowl until combined.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender or fork. You should have pea sized balls of butter throughout the flour.
- Add the milk and vinegar mixture to the dry ingredients and combine using a rubber spatula.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface (I use a little more brown rice flour for this) and roll into a square about 1 inch thick.
- Use a biscuit cutter or a round glass to cut out the biscuits.
- Place the biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until they are lightly browned.
To Make the Gravy
- While the biscuits are baking, add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a sauce pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped mushrooms to the pan and saute for about 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Lower the heat and add the butter stirring until melted.
- Add the flour and whisk until a paste is formed.
- Add the milk and whisk well to combine.
- Add the paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the gravy thickens.
- Serve over warm biscuits.