This gluten free and dairy free Biscuits and Sausage Gravy recipe tastes amazing! The biscuits are buttery and the sausage gravy is creamy and bursting with flavor.
Don’t forget to grab your FREE gluten free and dairy free Breakfast Recipes E-Cookbook at the bottom of the post!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!
I’m so excited to share this recipe for gluten free and dairy free Biscuits and Sausage Gravy with you today!! It’s AMAZING!
Growing up, biscuits and sausage gravy was my go to breakfast food. Any time we would go to a restaurant for breakfast, that was all I ever wanted.
I was pretty devastated when I first found out about all of my food allergies and thought I would never have biscuits and gravy again. It took me FOREVER to figure out a great biscuit recipe.
I must have tried at least 10 different versions before I finally figured out the perfect flour combination to get the biscuits just right.
It had been YEARS since the last time I had biscuits and sausage gravy and I missed it terribly.
The main reason I hadn’t tried to make a sausage gravy was because I could never find gluten free and dairy free uncured sausage. By the time I was ready to search again, I was pregnant and couldn’t have it.
Once my son had arrived in April, I decided enough was enough. I NEEDED biscuits and sausage gravy back in my life!
It took a while, but I finally found some uncured gluten free and dairy free sausage at Natural Grocers. I imagine a store like Whole Foods would have it as well, but the one by my work moved so I never got a chance to check.
Since I already had a wonderful biscuit recipe, all that was missing was the creamy sausage gravy. In the past, I have used mushroom gravy for biscuits and gravy so I thought that would be a good starting point.
Instead of the mushrooms I just swapped out sausage. Since I had a pound of sausage, I needed to make more gravy so I upped the amount of gluten free flour and dairy free milk.
I couldn’t believe how flavorful this gravy was!
It tasted EXACTLY like the sausage gravy I would order from restaurants before all of my food allergies.
The buttery southern style biscuits with the creamy sausage gravy is the PERFECT flavor combination.
I’m thrilled to have this childhood favorite back in my recipe collection and can’t wait to make it again!
What are some of your childhood favorites that you’ve been able to make allergy friendly? I can’t wait to hear about it and hope you love this gluten free & dairy free Biscuits and Sausage Gravy recipe as much as my family does!Print
Biscuit Dry Ingredients
- 1 cup (140g) brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup (100g) millet flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) arrowroot flour/starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Biscuit Wet Ingredients
- 6 tbsp vegan butter, cubed (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1 cup of dairy free milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
For the Sausage Gravy:
- 1 lb gluten free and dairy free ground sausage*
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp vegan butter (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery sticks”)
- 1/3 cup all purpose gluten free flour or brown rice flour (I use “Better Batter“)
- 3 cups dairy free milk (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1/2 – 1 tsp salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
To Make the Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Put the cubed butter in a bowl and place in the freezer.
- Mix together the milk and apple cider vinegar and set to the side.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients in a large bowl until combined. I recommend using a kitchen scale to measure out the flour for this recipe.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender or fork. You should have pea sized balls of butter throughout the flour.
- Add the milk and vinegar mixture to the dry ingredients and combine using a rubber spatula.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface (I use a little more brown rice flour for this) and roll into a square about 1 inch thick.
- Use a biscuit cutter or a round glass to cut out the biscuits.
- Place the biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until they are lightly browned.
To Make the Sausage Gravy:
- While the biscuits are baking, add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a sauce pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the ground sausage to the pan and saute for about 8 minutes or until the sausage is cooked all the way through.
- Lower the heat and add the butter stirring until melted.
- Add the flour and whisk until a paste is formed.
- Pour in the milk and whisk well to combine.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the gravy thickens.
- Serve over warm biscuits.
I recommend using raw ground sausage for this recipe to give the gravy the most flavor. If you can only find raw sausage links, cut open the casing and break it up in the pan to resemble ground sausage.
© Just What We Eat. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe.
SHOP THIS RECIPE:
LOOKING FOR MORE GLUTEN FREE BREAKFAST RECIPES? CHECK OUT SOME OF MY FAVORITES BELOW!
To download your free printable gluten free and dairy free Breakfast Recipes E-Cookbook, please fill out the form below. This will give you access to all of the free e-cookbooks in my Resource Library.