Blueberry Scones have been one of my all time FAVORITE treats since I can remember. I knew after going gluten free and dairy free biscuits and scones were going to take a lot of trial and error to figure out. For a while I had completely given up after all my attempts at gluten free biscuits had failed. There are only so many times you can have gummy hockey pucks come out of the oven before you get a bit discouraged.
After visiting a gluten free and vegan bakery in Portland a few years back, I finally knew that delicious gluten free biscuits were possible. My hope was restored. So I was determined to figure out how they had done it when I got home. I probably tweaked my biscuit recipe about 8 different times before I finally got it just right.
The flour blend is KEY! The all purpose blends you buy at the store were just not cutting it. This is the same blend I use for pancakes, waffles, cinnamon rolls, and pizza crust so I don’t mind buying the three individual flours. It’s given me the BEST results with all of these recipes so I started calling it my “magic flour blend”.
I knew once I had biscuits figured out, the scone possibilities were endless. First up were these Blueberry scones. All I did was add some coconut sugar, vanilla, and blueberries to my biscuit recipe and these delicious blueberry scones were born.
It’s hard to believe these blueberry scones are gluten free, vegan, and refined sugar free. They taste wonderful and the texture is just right! They are one of my daughters favorite breakfast treats and she is always asking me if we can have the “sweet blueberry biscuits”.
Do you have any recipes that you had given up on but finally got figured out? I can’t wait to hear about it and hope you love these Blueberry Scones as much as my family does!
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup millet flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour/starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 6 tbsp vegan butter, cubed (I use "Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks")
- 1 cup of dairy free milk of choice (I use "Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk")
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar substitute (I use "Swerve" brand. You can use regular powdered sugar if you would like.)
- 1 tbsp dairy free milk of choice (you can also use fresh lemon juice instead of milk to have a delicious lemon topping)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a small bowl, mix together dairy free milk and apple cider vinegar. Set to the side.
- In a large bowl, add all of the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender or fork. You should have pea sized balls of butter throughout the flour.
- Add the milk mixture and vanilla to the flour and stir with a rubber spatula until a dough forms.
- Fold in the blueberries. If using frozen blueberries, the dough will be a little sticky (that’s ok!).
- Transfer the dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and form a ball.
- If the dough is really sticky, sprinkle with additional brown rice flour. Press down gently on the dough to form a 2” thick disk.
- Cut the dough with a knife right down the middle, then across, and then diagonal twice to form 8 triangles.
- Separate the triangles and move them about a 2 inches apart to provide room for rising. I use a fork to get under the scones to separate them.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Optionally, add powdered sugar substitute and 1 tbsp dairy free milk of choice to a small bowl. Mix to combine.
- Once the scones have cooled a bit, drizzle the topping on them and enjoy!
For This Recipe, I Recommend:
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!