- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup millet flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour/starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 6 tbsp vegan butter, cubed (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1 cup of dairy free milk of choice (I use “Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk”)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar substitute (I use “Swerve” brand. You can use regular powdered sugar if you would like.)
- 1 tbsp dairy free milk of choice (you can also use fresh lemon juice instead of milk to have a delicious lemon topping)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a small bowl, mix together dairy free milk and apple cider vinegar. Set to the side.
- In a large bowl, add all of the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender or fork. You should have pea sized balls of butter throughout the flour.
- Add the milk mixture and vanilla to the flour and stir with a rubber spatula until a dough forms.
- Fold in the blueberries. If using frozen blueberries, the dough will be a little sticky (that’s ok!).
- Transfer the dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and form a ball.
- If the dough is really sticky, sprinkle with additional brown rice flour. Press down gently on the dough to form a 2” thick disk.
- Cut the dough with a knife right down the middle, then across, and then diagonal twice to form 8 triangles.
- Separate the triangles and move them about a 2 inches apart to provide room for rising. I use a fork to get under the scones to separate them.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Optionally, add powdered sugar substitute and 1 tbsp dairy free milk of choice to a small bowl. Mix to combine.
- Once the scones have cooled a bit, drizzle the topping on them and enjoy!