These gluten free and vegan Carmelitas taste incredible! They have layers of chocolate, gooey caramel, and an oat crumble topping.
For the Caramel Sauce Layer:
- 2 3.5 oz bags Cocomels Coconut Milk Caramels
- 1/2 cup full fat canned coconut milk
For the Crust and Topping:
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Layer:
- 1 10oz bag vegan chocolate chips
- To make the caramel sauce, unwrap the caramels and place them in a microwave safe bowl with 1/2 cup of full fat canned coconut milk. Microwave in 20 second increments, stirring between each time, until the caramels are completely melted. Place the caramel sauce in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to thicken.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×8 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together gluten free all purpose flour, rolled oats, coconut sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add melted vegan butter and vanilla extract to the bowl and stir to form a crumble.
- Press half of the crumble mixture into the bottom of the pan to form a crust. Bake for 10 minutes.
- When the crust is done cooking, pour the vegan chocolate chips evenly over the hot crust.
- Pour the caramel sauce evenly over the chocolate chip layer. Top with the remaining oat crumble mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Place the carmelitas in the refrigerator for 2 hours to cool completely and allow the caramel to set up.
- Cut into bars when ready to serve.
Cocomels Coconut Milk Caramels are manufactured on equipment also used to process Dairy, Peanut, Tree Nuts, and Soy Protein. For all of their products, they have an allergen cleanse protocol and testing which is implemented between the production cycles.