Homemade Chex mix wasn’t something I was aware of until I started dating my husband. The only kind of Chex mix I knew of was the kind you got in a bag at the grocery store. My mother in law gives my husband homemade Chex mix for every special occasion during the year, birthdays, Christmas, Father’s Day, you name it. I’m convinced it’s his favorite gift that he receives. So I decided when we got married that I should probably learn how to make it myself.
Turns out you can make it at home very easily and it tastes sooo much better than the store bought. I’ve been making him Chex mix now for every special occasion for the last four years. Normally Chex mix has rye bread pieces, wheat Chex, pretzels, and other gluten filled ingredients. It also contains butter which in a no no for me now a days as well. I didn’t want to be left out anymore so I decided to figure out how to make a dairy free and gluten free version of this delicious treat.
The main components of Chex mix are rice chex, corn chex, and wheat chex. So if you just add more rice and corn Chex and leave out the wheat Chex then you are halfway there. Sub in some gluten free pretzels, cereal, and wersteshire sauce, leave out the rye bread pieces, and you’ve got yourself some Chex mix. For the butter substitute, I use “Earth Balance soy free vegan buttery sticks”. They taste just like regular butter to me and make this chex mix so good!
This also makes an awesome snack to bring to family get together’s, BBQ’s, football parties, or just to have at home. No one can ever tell it’s gluten and dairy free and often rave about how good the homemade Chex mix is. You can also customize this recipe and add in some of your other favorite ingredients.
What are some of your favorite homemade snacks that you used to buy at the store before food allergies? I can’t wait to hear about it and hope you all enjoy this chex mix as much as my family does!Print
- 5 cups corn Chex
- 5 cups rice Chex
- 1 cup gluten free “O” cereal ( I use Nature’s Path)
- 1 cup nuts
- 2 cups gluten free pretzels
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 2 1/2 tbsp gluten free worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp seasoning salt (for homemade recipe I use, click here)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Add chex, “O” cereal, nuts, and pretzels to a roasting pan or deep sheet tray.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt Vegan butter. Add remaining ingredients and stir until seasoning has dissolved.
- Pour the vegan butter mixture over the Chex mix and stir to coat evenly.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes with a rubber spatula.
- Let the Chex Mix sit for 20-30 minutes or until dry.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!