For the Biscuits:
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup millet flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour/starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp vegan butter, cubed (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1 cup of dairy free milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
For the Chicken Filling:
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed*
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup gluten free all-purpose flour (I use “Better Batter”)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 3/4 cup low sodium broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- To make the biscuits, mix together the milk and apple cider vinegar and set to the side.
- Whisk together all of the biscuit dry ingredients in a large bowl until combined.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender or fork. You should have pea sized balls of butter throughout the flour. Add the milk and vinegar mixture to the dry ingredients and combine using a rubber spatula.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface (I use a little more brown rice flour for this) and roll into a square about 1 inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter or a round glass to cut out the biscuits.
- Place the biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until they are lightly browned.
- While the biscuits are baking start the chicken filling, in a large skillet, heat the butter over medium-high heat until melted. Add the carrots, celery, onion and sauté until tender (about 8 minutes).
- While the vegetables are cooking, in a medium sized bowl, combine gluten free all-purpose flour, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, low sodium broth, dairy free milk, and whisk until no flour lumps remain.
- Add minced garlic to the skillet and continue to sauté for 1 minute.
- Add in the flour and liquid mixture to the skillet, lower temperature to medium-low heat, and whisk until filling begins to thicken (about 5 minutes).
- Add in shredded or cubed chicken and stir to combine.
- Serve over biscuits.