For the Biscuits:
- 1 cup (140g) brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup (100g) millet flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) arrowroot flour/starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp vegan butter, cubed (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1 cup of dairy free milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
For the Chicken Filling:
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed*
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup gluten free all-purpose flour (I use “Better Batter”)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 3/4 cup low sodium broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- To make the biscuits, mix together the milk and apple cider vinegar and set to the side.
- Whisk together all of the biscuit dry ingredients in a large bowl until combined. I recommend using a kitchen scale to measure out the flour for this recipe.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender or fork. You should have pea sized balls of butter throughout the flour. Add the milk and vinegar mixture to the dry ingredients and combine using a rubber spatula.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface (I use a little more brown rice flour for this) and roll into a square about 1 inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter or a round glass to cut out the biscuits.
- Place the biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until they are lightly browned.
- While the biscuits are baking start the chicken filling, in a large skillet, heat the butter over medium-high heat until melted. Add the carrots, celery, onion and sauté until tender (about 8 minutes).
- While the vegetables are cooking, in a medium sized bowl, combine gluten free all-purpose flour, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, low sodium broth, dairy free milk, and whisk until no flour lumps remain.
- Add minced garlic to the skillet and continue to sauté for 1 minute.
- Add in the flour and liquid mixture to the skillet, lower temperature to medium-low heat, and whisk until filling begins to thicken (about 5 minutes).
- Add in shredded or cubed chicken and stir to combine.
- Serve over biscuits.
The following instructions are how I make my shredded chicken for this recipe. To make the shredded chicken place the following ingredients in your slow cooker/instant pot:
1-1/2 lbs chicken breast
2 cups of low sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth
2 tsp minced onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
To cook the chicken in the instant, make sure you are NOT venting and select the Poultry setting. It should default to normal mode for 20 minutes.
You can also cook the chicken in your slow cooker on high for 3 hours.
If you don’t feel like making the chicken yourself you can also always pick up a gluten free rotisserie chicken from the store and use that.