So you know you’re pregnant when…you can’t stop thinking about cookies! In all forms and flavors. Chocolate chip cookies, double chocolate cookies, cookie cake, cookie dough, the list goes on and on. I decided a couple of weeks ago that I NEEDED chocolate chip cookie dough or I wasn’t going to survive. So I started doing some research to see what all was involved.
It turns out that it is super simple to make cookie dough that you can eat without baking. Most recipes called for flour, butter, sugar, vanilla, and chocolate chips. To make that work for all of my food allergies I knew I was going to have to use substitutes for almost every ingredient. The great news is that I already have awesome substitutes for all of those things that I knew would work perfect!
For the butter, I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Butter Sticks”, for sugar I use coconut sugar, and chocolate chips I use “Enjoy Life Vegan semi-sweet mini Chocolate Chips”. For the flour, I didn’t want to just use an all purpose gluten free flour. You absolutely can if that is what you want to use, but I wanted to see if I could make the cookie dough a little bit more nutritious by using oat flour and almond flour. The substitutes worked out perfectly!
This cookie dough is so decadent and rich that I couldn’t believe it was also gluten free, vegan, and mostly refined sugar free. The first time I made this cookie dough, I just kept it in a container in the fridge and ate out of it with a spoon when I wanted some. The second time I made it, I used a cookie scoop to form bite sized cookie dough portions. Thinking of course that doing that would keep me from eating it all at once (yeah right!). The third time, I decided I wanted even more chocolate (because I’m super pregnant haha) and coated them in chocolate to make them into cookie dough truffles. This cookie dough is amazing all three ways!
Do any of you have any crazy cravings like I did for this cookie dough? You don’t have to be pregnant to have irrational food cravings haha! I can’t wait to hear about it and hope you all love these cookie dough truffles as much as I do!!
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour*
- 1/2 cup almond flour*
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted (I use "Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks")
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips (I use "Enjoy Life Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips)
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips for coating (optional)
- 1 tsp coconut oil (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread almond flour and oat flour evenly on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 5 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl, add almond flour, oat flour, salt and whisk well.
- In a small bowl, add melted butter, coconut sugar, vanilla and stir to combine.
- Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Fold in 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop out the mixture and use your hands to roll into balls. Place cookie dough balls onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and place in the freezer for 5-10 minutes.
- Optionally add 1/2 cup of vegan chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments stirring in between until the chocolate chips are melted.
- Remove the cookie dough balls from the freezer and roll in the chocolate until evenly coated. Place back onto the parchment paper and put in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes or until the chocolate has hardened.
- If you can't have oat flour or almond flour, you can use an all purpose gluten free flour instead.
For This Recipe, I Recommend:
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!