For the Crust
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, softened (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour (I use “Better Batter”)
For the Filling
- 2 tbsp flax seed meal
- 6 tbsp warm water
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
For the Glaze
- 2 tbsp grated lemon rind
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar (I use “Swerve” brand powdered sugar substitute for a refined sugar free option)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar, and flour together.
- Press mixture evenly into the bottom of a 11 x 7 ungreased pan.
- Bake 15 minutes or until crust is set but has not browned.
- In a small bowl, mix together flax seed meal and water. Set to the side for 5 minutes to firm up.
- Combine all filling ingredients into a large bowl and mix well.
- Pour mixture over the warm crust and bake for 25 minutes.
- While the bars are baking, combine all glaze ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Spread glaze over the bars after removing them from the oven.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.