For the Burgers:
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp gluten free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 slices of bacon cooked to your preference
- 4 gluten free hamburger buns (I like “Canyon Bakehouse” hamburger buns best)
- 4 lettuce leaves
For the Crispy Onions:
- 1 onion, thinly cut into rings or strips
- 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour (I use “Better Batter Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour“)
- 1/4 cup dairy free milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Oil for frying (I like to use olive oil, but vegetable oil will work well too)
For the BBQ Mayo:
- 1/4 cup gluten free and dairy free mayo (I use “Vegenaise”)
- 2 tbsp BBQ sauce
To make the Onion Straws:
- Cut onion into thin rings or strips. Add gluten free flour to a large bowl. Mix in salt and pepper. Add dairy free milk to another large bowl.
- Dip onions in dairy free milk and then toss in the gluten free flour to evenly coat.
- Heat olive oil on medium-high heat in a large pan. You will need around 1 1/2 inches of oil in the pan to cover the onions completely when frying.
- Once the oil is hot, add onions to the pan and fry for 4-5 minutes until crispy. Use a large strainer spoon to remove the onions from the hot oil. Place onions on a plate with paper towels to soak up any excess oil. Continue this process until all onions are fried.
To make the BBQ Mayo:
- Mix together mayo and BBQ sauce until combined.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
To make the Burgers:
- Add beef, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, coconut sugar, onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to a large bowl.
- Mix to evenly incorporate all of the ingredients into the beef.
- Shape the beef mixture into 4 patties.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat (or grill), cook the burgers for 4-6 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature has reached 160°F.
- Place burgers on a gluten free bun and top with BBQ mayo, bacon, onion straws, and lettuce.