- 3 cups gluten free all-purpose flour (I use “Better Batter“)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 8 tbsp vegan butter, softened (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar, packed (or brown sugar)
- 2 1/2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup molasses (DO NOT use blackstrap)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- zest of 1 lemon (about 2 tsp – optional)
- Gluten free & dairy free frosting and candy for decorating (optional)
- Preheat oven 375°F.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together gluten free flour, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer*, cream together the butter and sugar until combined.
- Add the water, molasses, vanilla, and lemon zest to the stand mixer and mix until combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the stand mixer until it is all incorporated and your dough is formed. You should be able to pinch the dough between your fingers and have it stick together, but not stick to your hands. If the dough is too dry, add 1 tsp of water at a time until you reach the desired consistency. If the dough is too wet, add more gluten free all-purpose flour.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll it out to about 1/4″- 1/2″ thick. Use cookie cutters to make your desired shapes.
- Place the cookies on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and bake for 8-9 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool completely before decorating.
You can also use a hand mixer if you don’t have a stand mixer.