These Italian Baked Meatballs are super easy to make and full of flavor! They are gluten free, dairy free, and eggless meatballs making them the perfect allergy friendly meal that everyone will love!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!
Meatball subs have been one of my favorite meals since I was little. Anytime we would go to a sub shop or Italian restaurant I would always order meatballs.
That was one of the foods I missed the most when I found out I had food allergies.
I wanted so badly to be able to go into a sub shop and order a meatball sub sandwich with piles of cheese.
Of course that wasn’t going to happen without some serious side effects now a days so I decided it was time to figure out how to make meatballs at home.
It turns out it is super easy to do. I always thought making homemade meatballs seemed like a really difficult thing to do.
You picture Italian grandmas in the kitchen working away and think there’s no way I can do something like that.
Well you absolutely can and you can make them allergy friendly, woo hoo!
So let’s talk about how to make allergy friendly meatballs.
You need to replace the eggs, gluten, and dairy that are in traditional meatballs.
HOW DO YOU MAKE MEATBALLS WITHOUT EGGS?
You use a flax egg to replace the egg! It’s super easy to do.
- Just mix up 1 tablespoon of flax seed meal and 3 tablespoons of water.
- Let it sit for 5-10 minutes to firm up.
HOW DO YOU MAKE GLUTEN FREE MEATBALLS?
- Traditional meatballs are made with breadcrumbs. To make gluten free meatballs, all you have to do is substitute the breadcrumbs with gluten free oats.
- If you can’t have gluten free oats, then gluten free breadcrumbs will work great too.
HOW DO YOU MAKE DAIRY FREE MEATBALLS?
- Making the meatballs dairy free is super easy! All you have to do is substitute you favorite dairy free milk for regular milk.
- You can also just use water if desired. The liquid is really just to add moisture to the oats or breadcrumbs to make the meatballs super tender.
It only takes about 10 minutes to put the meatballs together and then they bake for 20 minutes.
Homemade meatballs in 30 minutes means this just became one of my favorite go to quick meals for busy weeknights!
I love to serve these meatballs with my favorite gluten free pasta sauce over gluten free spaghetti, gluten free bread to make meatball subs, or even over zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash to make a really healthy meal.
I also use my homemade Italian seasoning recipe that adds so much amazing flavor!
So let’s talk about how to make these Italian Baked Meatballs!
GLUTEN FREE MEATBALL RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
- Ground beef: This recipe works great with ground turkey as well.
- Flax seed meal and warm water: This is used as a substitute for eggs. One egg can be used instead if you don’t have an egg allergy.
- Onion: Adds a ton of flavor to the meatballs. Minced onion can be used in a pinch.
- Garlic: Minced garlic adds even more flavor to the meatballs.
- Gluten free oats: Gluten free breadcrumbs may also be used.
- Dairy free milk of choice: I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”. Water can also be used if desired.
- Italian seasoning: I use this homemade Italian Seasoning recipe.
- Salt and pepper
HOW TO MAKE EASY GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE, AND EGG FREE MEATBALLS:
- Preheat your oven: 400°F.
- Prepare flax egg: In a small bowl, combine flax seed and warm water and set aside for 5 minutes to firm up.
- Mix together ingredients: In a large bowl, add all ingredients including your flax seed mixture once it’s ready and mix well to combine.
- Form meatballs: Measure out a large tablespoon of the mixture and gently roll in your hands to form meatballs.
- Bake: For 20 minutes.
That’s all there is to it! Super easy!
What are some of your favorite meals to make with meatballs?
I can’t wait to hear about it and hope you love this gluten free, dairy free, and egg free meatball recipe as much as my family does!
Don’t forget to leave a comment below if you give this recipe a try!
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 tbsp flax seed meal*
- 3 tbsp warm water*
- 1/3 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup gluten free oats*
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”. Water can be used as well.)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, combine flax seed and warm water and set aside for 5 minutes to firm up.
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients including your flax seed mixture once it’s ready and mix well to combine.
- Measure out a large tablespoon of the mixture and gently roll in your hands to form meatballs.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- You can use 1 egg in place of the flax seed meal and warm water if you do not have any issues with eggs.
- If you can’t have oats, gluten free bread crumbs will work as well.
- These meatballs also freeze really well! I usually make up multiple batches and freeze half for later. Once the meatballs have cooled, store in a gallon-sized plastic freezer bag and freeze for up to to three months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes when ready to eat.