Meatball subs have been one of my favorite meals since I was little. Anytime we would go to a sub shop or Italian restaurant I would always order meatballs. That was one of the foods I missed the most when I found out I had food allergies. I wanted so badly to be able to go into a sub shop and order a meatball sub sandwich with piles of cheese.
Of course that wasn’t going to happen without some serious side effects now a days so I decided it was time to figure out how to make meatballs at home. It turns out it is super easy to do. I always thought making homemade meatballs seemed like a really difficult thing to do. You picture Italian grandmas in the kitchen working away and think there’s no way I can do something like that.
Well you absolutely can and you can make them allergy friendly, woo hoo! It only takes about 10 minutes to put the meatballs together and then they bake for 20 minutes. Homemade meatballs in 30 minutes means this just became one of my favorite go to quick meals for busy weeknights!
I love to serve these meatballs with my favorite gluten free pasta sauce over gluten free spaghetti, gluten free bread to make meatball subs, or even over zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash to make a really healthy meal. I also use a homemade Italian seasoning recipe that I will include in the recipe below. I love this Italian seasoning and think it gives the meatballs such an awesome flavor.
What are some of your favorite meals to make with meatballs? I can’t wait to hear all about it and hope you love this gluten free, dairy free, and egg free meatball recipe as much as my family does!
Italian Meatballs - Gluten Free, Dairy Free, & Egg Free
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp minced onion
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp flax seed meal
- 3 tbsp warm water
- 1/4 cup gluten free oats
Homemade Italian Seasoning Mix (makes 4 tsp)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, combine flax seed and warm water and set aside for 5 minutes to firm up.
- In a large bowl, add ground beef, salt, pepper, minced onion, 2 tsp Italian seasoning, gluten free oats, and flax seed mixture and mix all ingredients to combine.
- Measure out a large tablespoon of the mixture and gently roll in your hands to form meatballs.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- These meatballs also freeze really well! I usually make up multiple batches and freeze half for later. Once the meatballs have cooled, store in a gallon-sized plastic freezer bag and freeze for up to to three months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes when ready to eat.
Just What We Eat https://justwhatweeat.com/
For This Recipe, I Recommend:
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!