These gluten free & vegan Mashed Potatoes and Gravy are wonderful! The mashed potatoes are creamy and so flavorful. The gravy is the perfect topping for the mashed potatoes and it’s SO easy to make!
Mashed Potato Ingredients
- 3 lb russet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, cubed (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (or gluten free all-purpose flour)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2-1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Peel and cut potatoes into 2-3″ cubes.
- Add the potatoes to a large pot of water and boil for 15-20 minutes until a fork slides through the potatoes with ease.
- While the potatoes cook, prepare the gravy by adding 1/4 cup vegan butter to a small saucepan.
- Once the butter is melted, add the cornstarch and whisk to create a roux.
- Pour in 2 cups of vegetable broth, whisking constantly to avoid clumps.
- Add salt and pepper and lower heat for 10 minutes or until the gravy has thickened. Whisk occasionally to avoid a film on top of the gravy.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or use a hand mixer to make them extra smooth.
- Add the remaining mashed potato ingredients to the pot and mix until well combined.
- Serve gravy over the mashed potatoes.