I’m so excited to be sharing this recipe for gluten free and vegan Mexican Beans and Rice with you all today! Mexican food is definitely my go to when I need a quick weeknight dinner the whole family will enjoy. You can pack so much flavor into a Mexican dish and they are always so versatile which is great if you have picky eaters! Of course I also love that they are some of the easiest meals to make gluten free and dairy free.
Before I had my food allergies, Mexican Beans and Rice and chicken quesadillas were what I ordered every time I went to my favorite Mexican restaurant. During my first pregnancy that was pretty much what I lived on. That and I couldn’t get enough of Sonic and Arby’s food (super healthy I know 😫). Of course since non of those things have been an option this time around because of my food allergies, I’ve craved them constantly. So I knew it was about time I figured out how to make some of those things myself at home. First on the list, Mexican beans and rice.
I couldn’t believe how easy this recipe came together and I almost always have the ingredients needed on hand. All you need is some cooked rice, black beans, onion, garlic, tomatoes, limes, a little vegan butter, and seasonings. Super easy and super healthy. Talk about a pregnancy craving being satisfied!
What are some of your favorite Mexican dishes that you have made allergy friendly? This Mexican beans and rice recipe is definitely at the top of my list! I can’t wait to hear about your favorites and hope your family loves this recipe as much as mine does!
- 2 8.5 oz packs of cooked rice (about 4 cups cooked)*
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans black beans
- 2 small limes, juiced
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (I use "Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks")
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, saute onion in olive oil until soft (8-10 minutes).
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add remaining ingredients, except cilantro, to the pot and stir to combine.
- Cook on medium heat until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in chopped cilantro and serve.
- I prefer to use brown rice to make this dish even healthier.