This Monkey Bread tastes AMAZING! This is the perfect treat to bring to brunch or have during the holidays!
Don’t forget to grab your FREE gluten free and dairy free Fall Favorites E-Cookbook at the bottom of the post!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!
This Monkey Bread has quickly become my FAVORITE breakfast treat!
Which is saying a lot because I have a lot of really yummy breakfast treats that I love. This one just cannot be beat!
If you have never had monkey bread before, then I need you to stop what you are doing and run to your kitchen (Ok you can keep reading this and then run to your kitchen, haha!).
Seriously, you need this in your life.
Monkey bread is basically the warm gooey center of the cinnamon roll which we all know is the BEST part!
Now making this recipe gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, AND yeast free was a bit of an adventure.
Luckily I already had a cinnamon roll recipe that I got figured out years ago to use as my base. It worked wonderfully!
You can make the monkey bread in a bundt pan or an 8×8 dish. I’ve made it both ways and they are both great!
I’ve made this recipe SOO many times now and it tastes amazing every time! It’s a wonderful dish to bring to brunch or family get togethers.
I also plan to serve it for Thanksgiving and Christmas breakfast this year. I can’t wait!
What are some of your favorite breakfast treats? I hope this one gets added to the list and you love it as much as my family does!Print
- 1 1/4 cup (186g) brown rice flour
- 1 1/4 cup (169g) millet flour
- 1/2 cup (66g) arrowroot flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, melted (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1 1/2 c. dairy free milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the Topping:
- 3/4 cup vegan butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the Icing (optional):
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar or powdered sugar substitute* (I use “Swerve” brand)
- 1 tbsp dairy free milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- Preheat oven to 425°F and lightly grease a bundt pan, loaf pan, or an 8×8 baking dish.
- Combine all of the topping ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until the butter has melted and the mixture is starting to bubble. Whisk continuously so it does not burn. Remove from heat once it starts to bubble and set to the side.
- In a small bowl, mix milk and apple cider vinegar together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add brown rice flour, millet flour, and arrowroot starch. Whisk until combined.
- Set a piece of parchment paper onto the counter, measure 1/2 cup of the flour mixture, and place onto of the parchment paper.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt to the large bowl of flour and whisk together.
- Add 2 tbsp of melted butter to the milk and apple cider vinegar mixture.
- Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until a sticky dough forms.
- Transfer dough to the floured parchment paper and fold the remaining flour into the dough
- Using your hands and a rolling pin, press and roll the dough into a rough 8″ square.
- Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut the dough into 2″ pieces (I cut the dough into strips one way and then cut again across to form 2″ squares).
- In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup of coconut sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Roll each piece of dough into the mixture and place in the greased pan. You don’t need to press them together in the pan, just place them in the pan and then layer on top until all dough pieces are in the pan.
- Pour the topping mixture evenly all over the dough.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- If using a Bundt pan, wait 10 minutes before turning over onto the plate to allow the filling to set a bit (don’t wait longer than this or the filling will start to stick to the pan!).
- For the icing, in a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar substitute and dairy free milk.
- Drizzle over the monkey bread and enjoy!
SHOP THIS RECIPE:
Looking for more delicious Breakfast Recipes? Check out the recipes listed below!
To download your free printable gluten free and dairy free Fall Favorites E-Cookbook, please fill out the form below. This will give you access to all of the free e-cookbooks in my Resource Library.