These gluten free, vegan, and refined sugar free orange scones are the perfect breakfast treat! The orange zest and fresh squeezed orange juice gives these scones the most delicious flavor!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!
I think I might be in love with these orange scones. They are just SO good!
Before food allergies, I used to get orange scones from Panera Bread all the time and they were amazing! A coworker of mine introduced me to them and they quickly became a favorite of mine.
After food allergies, I didn’t think luxuries like scones were going to be something I got to enjoy any more.
It wasn’t until I figured out my awesome gluten free and vegan biscuit recipe that I knew scones were going to be possible again. I was so excited to give them a try!
My first scone recipe was for blueberry scones. My husband, daughter, and I all love blueberry so it seemed like a natural first choice.
They were delicious!
I basically just sweetened up my biscuit recipe and added some blueberries. It was pretty easy to figure out and I couldn’t wait to try more variations.
Orange scones were the obvious next choice since I previously had a bit of an orange scone addiction.
So I started researching traditional orange scone recipes. Since I already had my blueberry scone recipe figured out, I just needed to figure out how to get the orange flavor instead of blueberry.
Most recipes I saw achieved this by adding orange zest and some fresh squeezed orange juice. I also wanted to have an orange glaze on top of the scones because that’s how I used to eat them at Panera and it really made all the difference.
Since I can’t handle much refined sugar, I decided to use my trusty powdered sugar substitute, “Swerve” brand powdered sweetener.
To make the glaze I added the “Swerve” sweetener, a couple more tablespoons of fresh squeezed orange juice, and it tasted wonderful!
When the scones came out of the oven, I could not wait to try them. My whole house smelled delicious and I started getting flash backs to the delicious treat I used to enjoy before food allergies.
As I took my first bite I might have started dancing a bit in my kitchen (I do this a lot when I figure out a new recipe haha). They were just SO GOOD!!
The texture was spot on. They had some firmness on the outside and were soft on the inside which is exactly what I look for in a good scone.
The orange zest and squeezed orange juice gave the scones such an amazing flavor. That orange glaze just took them over the edge.
These gluten free, vegan, and refined sugar free orange scones remind me so much of the ones I used to enjoy from the bakery before food allergies.
Just talking about them is making me want more. Excuse me while I go make another batch haha!
What are some of your favorite gluten free breakfast recipes? These orange scones have quickly jumped to the top of my list.
I hope you enjoy these delicious gluten free, vegan, and refined sugar free orange scones as much as my family does!
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup millet flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour/starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- zest of one large orange
- 6 tbsp vegan butter, cubed (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 3/4 cup of dairy free milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar or substitute (I use “Swerve” powdered sweetener)
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a small bowl, mix together dairy free milk and apple cider vinegar. Set to the side.
- In a large bowl, add all of the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender or fork. You should have pea sized balls of butter throughout the flour.
- Add the milk mixture, orange juice, and vanilla to the flour and stir with a rubber spatula until a dough forms.
- Lightly flour a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper to prevent the dough from sticking. Transfer the dough onto the cookie sheet and form a ball.
- If the dough is really sticky, sprinkle with additional brown rice flour. Press down gently on the dough to form a 2” thick disk.
- Cut the dough with a knife right down the middle, then across, and then diagonal twice to form 8 triangles.
- Separate the triangles and move them about a 2 inches apart to provide room for rising. I use a fork to get under the scones to separate them.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Optionally, add powdered sugar/sweetener and 2 tbsp orange juice to a small bowl. Mix to combine.
- Once the scones have cooled a bit, drizzle the topping on them and enjoy!
Looking for more Gluten Free and Vegan breakfast recipes? Check out some of my favorites below.