This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!
These homemade gluten free and vegan peanut butter cups turned out awesome and taste so much like traditional peanut butter cups that I had to keep reminding myself they were homemade!
It’s officially Halloween and I don’t know about you all but I’ve got Halloween candy on the brain. This is the first year I have been dairy free on Halloween and I’ve definitely been missing all of my favorites.
Last year I was just gluten free, but there are a TON of the classic Halloween candies that are already gluten free so it wasn’t too difficult. Gluten free and dairy free Halloween candy is a bit harder to come by so I figured it was about time to figure out how to make some of my own.
My first attempt, and one of my all time favorites, was peanut butter cups. I’ve loved peanut butter cups since I was little. Really anything that combines chocolate and peanut butter is going to be a win in my book!
Not only are peanut butter cups one of my all time favorites, but I figured it was probably going to be one of the easiest Halloween candies to make gluten free and dairy free.
So I started with a bit of research on how to make traditional peanut butter cups. Most of the recipes consisted of chocolate and peanut butter, of course, but also a ton of powdered sugar.
I knew I couldn’t have a bunch of powdered sugar without getting a big ole headache, but I remembered around Christmas time last year I had come across a delicious buckeye bar recipe that used maple syrup to sweeten the peanut butter instead of powdered sugar. I thought that would be perfect so I gave it a try.
These homemade gluten free and vegan peanut butter cups turned out awesome and taste so much like traditional peanut butter cups that I had to keep reminding myself they were homemade.
I’m so excited to be able to have these on Halloween and not feel left out. Have any of you had success making your own candy? I can’t wait to try out some more recipes so I look forward to hearing about recipes you’ve made. I hope you all enjoy these homemade peanut butter cups as much as I do!
For the Peanut Butter Layer
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
- 2 tbsp refined coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
For the Chocolate Layers
- 1 9oz bag vegan chocolate chocolate chips (I use “Enjoy Life” brand)
- 1 tbsp refined coconut oil, melted
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all of the Peanut Butter Layer ingredients and place in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to firm up.
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between until chocolate chips are melted.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners and scoop 1-2 teaspoons worth of the melted chocolate into the liners.
- Scoop about half a tablespoon of the peanut butter mixture into each liner on top of the chocolate layer.
- Finally, add another 1-2 teaspoons worth of the melted chocolate on top of the peanut butter layer and place muffin tin in the freezer for 1 hour until peanut butter cups are firm.