Flour Blend for the Best Results
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup millet flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour*
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (omit if your flour blend already contains xanthan gum)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup unsweetened dairy free milk of choice (I use So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk)
- 2/3 cup applesauce
- 2/3 cup pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup refined coconut oil, melted (avocado oil works as well)
- 2–3 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum, cinnamon, and nutmeg).
- Add liquid ingredients and mix until the batter is smooth (maple syrup, milk, applesauce, pumpkin, coconut oil, and vanilla extract). I recommend adding 1/4 cup of milk at a time until you’ve reached the desired consistency.
- If making waffles, heat greased waffle maker on medium heat or around 250-300 degrees. Pour batter into the waffle maker, about 1 cup for each waffle. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the light on your waffle maker says they are ready.
- If making pancakes, heat greased griddle over medium heat or around 250-300 degrees. Pour batter on the griddle, about 1/4 cup for each pancake. The batter will be thicker than normal pancake batter. I find it easiest to use a spoon to spread the batter into a pancake shape. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until you start to see tiny bubbles in the batter. Flip the pancakes and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite waffle/pancake toppings.
- *I have made this recipe with Better Batter, Bobs Red Mill 1-1 All Purpose Flour, and Bobs Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour. Each give a different result, but the absolute BEST result is using the flour mixture provided in the recipe. I also use this flour mixture for cinnamon rolls, pizza crust, biscuits, scones, and bread sticks.