Enchiladas are one of my favorite meals ever! I think one of the biggest reasons is because of the enchilada sauce. I could eat it by the spoonful! So imagine how excited I was to come across the idea of chicken enchilada soup. I get to eat enchilada sauce by the spoonful and not have my husband look at me strange! OK, so it’s not just enchilada sauce, but the enchilada sauce flavor is really what makes this dish amazing.
Since the enchilada sauce is crucial to this dish’s success, I’m recommending a homemade enchilada sauce below. It’s extremely easy to make homemade enchilada sauce and it tastes SO much better than store bought in my mind. If you don’t have time to make the enchilada sauce, I’m sure store bought will taste great too.
If you are going to make the homemade enchilada sauce, make sure you are aware of how much heat your chili powder has. Chili powder is the main spice in the enchilada sauce and I found out the hard way last week that if you don’t pay attention to what’s in your chili powder you might end up with some spicy, SPICY soup! I normally make my own chili powder for this exact reason, but last week I was being lazy and woo buddy that soup was hot! It was still amazing, but it had a big kick. Perfect for some, but I like my enchilada sauce to have a ton of flavor with mild spice.
The other great thing about this chicken enchilada soup is that you make it in the slow cooker. I think everyone can appreciate the convenience of a slow cooker, but the additional flavor you get from slow cooking can’t be beat. What are some of your favorite slow cooker meals? This Chicken Enchilada Soup is definitely at the top of my list and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 1-2 lbs chicken breast
- 1 10 oz can Enchilada Sauce (homemade enchilada sauce recipe here)
- 2 15 oz cans black beans
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbs mild diced green chiles
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- Add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker/Instant Pot and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3-4 hours until chicken is cooked all the way through. If cooking in an Instant Pot, close the lid and make sure you are NOT venting. Select the Poultry setting which should be pre-programmed to cook for 20 minutes.
- Shred chicken with two forks and serve with your favorite toppings.
To Freeze and Cook Later
- Combine all ingredients in a gallon-sized plastic freezer bag and freeze for up to to three months.
- When ready to cook, thaw overnight in refrigerator.
- Follow cooking directions above.
- Serving Size: 6
For This Recipe, I Recommend:
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!