It is so cold in Missouri right now! I keep asking my husband why we live in a state where it hurts to breath 3-4 months out of the year and he has to keep reminding me of all the reasons I love it here. So of course I’m constantly wanting to eat soups and chili to keep warm and always coming up with new recipes. I actually stumbled upon a recipe for Chicken Taco Chili years ago but the recipe I found was just OK so I didn’t make it a whole lot. So a few weeks ago I decided to give it another try, but wanted to change up the recipe a bit to get more flavor.
So instead of using the seasoning mix the original recipe called for, I substituted my homemade taco seasoning and it made all the difference in the world. This chicken taco chili is SO delicious and I love how convenient it is. There really isn’t a whole lot to it and since it’s a slow cooker meal, you just throw all the ingredients in and go about your day while it cooks. It’s also so warm and comforting that I forget how healthy it is while I’m eating it.
I really love that you can add all your favorite taco toppings to it after it’s done cooking so everyone can customize their dinner to their liking. My husband of course likes to add cheese and sour cream and my daughter and I like to add corn, avocado, and some tortilla chips on top. This chicken taco chili recipe has me already thinking about the next chili recipe experiment. Maybe a sweet potato chili or a vegan chili will be next on the list.
What are some of your favorite ingredients to have on top of or in chili? I’m always looking for new chili recipes to try to make it through these frigid winter months so I can’t wait to hear all about it! I hope you all love this chicken taco chili recipe as much as my family does!
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs chicken breast
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 15 oz cans black beans
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 packet taco seasoning or homemade taco seasoning recipe below
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (check out my homemade chili powder HERE )
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (we use “Lite Salt’)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker/Instant Pot and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3-4 hours until chicken is cooked all the way through. If cooking in an Instant Pot, close the lid and make sure you are NOT venting. Select the Poultry setting which should be pre-programmed to cook for 20 minutes.
- Shred chicken with two forks and serve with your favorite toppings.
For This Recipe, I Recommend:
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!