- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs chicken breast
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 15 oz cans black beans
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 packet taco seasoning or homemade taco seasoning recipe below
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (check out my homemade chili powder HERE )
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (we use “Lite Salt’)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker/Instant Pot and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3-4 hours until chicken is cooked all the way through. If cooking in an Instant Pot, close the lid and make sure you are NOT venting. Select the Poultry setting which should be pre-programmed to cook for 20 minutes.
- Shred chicken with two forks and serve with your favorite toppings.