Get ready for bonfire season with these gluten free and vegan S’mores! They are so delicious and you will never know that they are gluten free and vegan!
Don’t forget to grab your FREE gluten free and dairy free Fall Favorites E-Cookbook at the bottom of the post!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!
It’s officially bonfire season and I’m ready to eat my weight in S’mores! These gluten free and vegan S’mores are AMAZING!
The homemade graham crackers just cannot be beat. I tried SO many different store bought gluten free graham crackers and was not impressed at all! The flavor just wasn’t right.
So I finally decided enough was enough and started researching gluten free graham crackers. I found a recipe at Sarah Bakes Gluten Free blog that looked delicious.
It only required a few modifications to make them work for my allergies so I decided to give them a try.
I was SO excited when I took my first bite. Sarah mentions in her blog post that she didn’t realize how much she missed a good graham cracker until she made these and it’s so true!
I crave these all the time now, but especially in the Fall. They have the perfect amount of crunch and the graham cracker flavor is spot on.
The other crucial ingredient to s’mores is the chocolate bar. I still have not found any gluten free and vegan chocolate bars at the store so I just make my own.
It wasn’t until a couple of weeks ago that I learned about chocolate bar molds.
I had no idea that was a thing (duh!) so for the last couple years I would just make them in the bottom of a pan lined with parchment paper.
You can still do that if you don’t want to get a mold, but how fun to have actual chocolate bars you can break off easily.
Here are the molds that I just got a couple weeks ago and they worked perfectly. The best part was that they only cost $6.99 for two molds!
All you do is melt a cup of vegan chocolate chips (I use “Enjoy Life” brand) and pour the chocolate into the mold or in the bottom of a pan lined with parchment paper.
Put them in the fridge to harden and voila, homemade gluten free and vegan chocolate bars!
For the marshmallows I use the large “Dandies Vegan Marshmallows”. They work perfectly!
Are you all headed to any bonfires this season? We have a bonfire coming up so I just made another batch and I can’t wait!
I hope you enjoy these homemade S’mores as much as my family does!
♥ Don’t forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment below if you give this recipe a try! ♥Print
1 pack of large vegan gluten free marshmallows (I use “Dandies Vegan Marshmallows”)
For the Graham Crackers
- 1 cup gluten free all-purpose flour (I use “Better Batter”)
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup refined coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Vegan Chocolate Bars
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips (I use “Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Vegan Chocolate Chips”)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Add flour, oat flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a large bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment*. Turn on low to blend.
- Add melted coconut oil, water, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to the bowl. Continue to mix until the dough is formed.
- Transfer dough to a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. If your sheet tray has raised sides like mine, you will need to just place the parchment paper on the counter for now.
- Top the dough with another piece of parchment paper and start to roll out the dough into a large rectangle. The dough needs to be about 1/6-inch thick (about a 12×17 rectangle).
- Use a pizza cutter or knife to cut the dough into 3″ squares. Using a fork, poke 2-3 sets of holes in each graham cracker.
- Transfer the parchment paper and graham crackers to the sheet tray if you haven’t already. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the graham crackers start to brown.
- While the graham crackers are baking, add 1 cup of vegan chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until chocolate chips are melted.
- If using a chocolate bar mold, spread the melted chocolate evenly in the mold. If not using a chocolate mold, line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper and pour the chocolate evenly in the bottom of the pan. Place the chocolate in the fridge until firm (15-30 minutes).
- To assemble s’mores, place a piece of chocolate onto a graham cracker, place a roasted marshmallow on top of the chocolate, and top with another graham cracker. You can also heat these in the microwave for 10-15 seconds if you aren’t able to roast the marshmallows.
If you do not have a stand mixer, you can mix everything together with a rubber spatula until the dough forms.
This graham cracker recipe was adapted from Sarah Bakes Gluten Free.