I’m sure you all have noticed that a lot of the gluten free flours come with all kinds of recipes printed on the back and sides of the bags/boxes. I don’t know why, but I’ve never really been all that interested in trying them out. It really makes no sense because if a company is going to go through the trouble of printing a recipe on their product then I would bet it’s a tried and true recipe. There was one recipe my husband and I both noticed on the back of the Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Oat Flour bag that we knew we had to give a try. It was for a raspberry oatmeal bar recipe.
The original recipe called for raspberry preserves and regular refined cane sugar. I didn’t have any raspberry preserves and couldn’t use refined sugar because it gives me headaches. So instead, I used the strawberry preserves (with no added sugar) I always have on hand and coconut sugar. I made a couple other modifications and these bars came together in a matter of minutes! While they were in the oven baking for 20 minutes I knew we had a winning recipe by the smell alone. They smelled amazing!
I of course couldn’t wait for them to cool before I tried a bite. These strawberry oatmeal bars are delicious! The combination of the strawberries with the coconut sugar and oats was magical. They are also awesome because with the few minor tweaks I made, these bars became not only gluten free and dairy free, but also refined sugar free. That means I have no problem serving them for breakfast as well as a tasty dessert. I also love that these bars could be made with so many different flavor combinations. My husband is begging for a blueberry and lemon version.
Have any of you had luck with the recipes that come on the side of the gluten free flour bags/boxes? I can’t wait to try more! There is a recipe for peach cobbler on the side of my Better Batter box that I think I will have to give a try this summer. I hope you all love these gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free strawberry oatmeal bars as much as my family does!
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (I use “Lite Salt”)
- 2/3 cup strawberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, mix melted butter and vanilla.
- Add oat flour, oats, coconut sugar, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt and stir well to combine.
- Grease an 8×8 pan and press 1 cup of the oat mixture in the bottom of the pan evenly.
- Spread strawberry preserves evenly across the oat mixture in the pan.
- Crumble remaining oat mixture evenly over the strawberry preserves and gently press down to form the top layer of the bars.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is firm.
- Allow the bars to cool before cutting.
For This Recipe, I Recommend:
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!