This gluten free, vegan, and refined sugar free sweet potato casserole is delicious! The sweet and crunchy pecan streusel topping just takes it over the top! It’s also super easy to put together which is always a plus.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!
Last year was our first holiday season being gluten free and dairy free, and let me tell you what, I was so nervous! I had no idea what I was going to eat and was certain I would miss out on all of the yummy holiday classics.
Well after doing a TON of research and a bit of trial and error, I was able to get a replacement recipe for every single holiday classic I wanted! I’m talking stuffing, green bean casserole, biscuits, mashed potatoes, apple pie, and of course this amazing sweet potato casserole recipe!
I found this sweet potato recipe on MeaningfulEats.com and only had to modify a couple things to make the recipe work for all of my allergies. I LOVE when I can find delicious recipes like this that only take a little tweaking to work for my family.
The biggest differences between the original recipe and the one I’m sharing today is that I use coconut sugar instead of brown sugar and leave out the egg entirely. I also lowered the amount of maple syrup just a bit to make it a little less sweet since my hubby likes it that way.
Let me tell you what, this gluten free, vegan, and refined sugar free sweet potato casserole is delicious! The sweet and crunchy pecan streusel topping just takes it over the top!
The other awesome thing about this recipe is that it is so easy and only took 15 minutes to put together. I don’t know about you all, but the quicker the recipe is the better especially during the holidays when you have so many things to make.
You can also make this sweet potato casserole ahead of time. Just prep and store the sweet potatoes and the topping separately in the fridge until you are ready to use them.
I usually make this dish a day or two ahead of time so that I can spread out all of my holiday cooking across a couple of days. This is a life savor especially since I’m pregnant this year and can’t spend all day in the kitchen without everything aching!
What are some of your favorite dishes to have over the holidays? Can you believe I’ve never had cranberry sauce or pumpkin pie?! If you have awesome recipes for those I would love to hear about them so I can give them a try! I hope you love this sweet potato casserole as much as my family does!
For the Filling
- 3 large sweet potatoes (3 cups)
- 2/3 cup milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted butter (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
For the Topping
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes. In a large pot, boil over medium-high heat for 15 minutes until sweet potatoes are soft.
- While the potatoes cook, prepare the topping. In a large bowl, combine all topping ingredients except for the butter. Using a fork or a pastry blender, cut in butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- When the sweet potatoes are done cooking, drain and mash with a potato masher. Transfer 3 cups of the mashed sweet potato to a stand mixer.
- Add the remaining filling ingredients to the stand mixer and whip until the mixture is creamy.
- Pour the sweet potato filling into a prepared 9×13 casserole dish. Sprinkle topping all over the filling.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.