This easy gluten free and vegan sweet potato casserole with coconut streusel topping is delicious! It’s the perfect side dish to bring to your next family gathering!
- 4 large sweet potatoes (about 4 cups once cooked and mashed)
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, melted (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
Coconut Streusel Topping Ingredients:
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes into cubes. In a large pot, boil the sweet potatoes over medium-high heat for 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- While the potatoes cook, combine all of the topping ingredients in a medium sized bowl. The topping should be crumbly. Set aside.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them and mash them.
- Add all ingredients (except for the topping ingredients) to a large mixing bowl or stand mixer and beat until smooth.
- Pour sweet potato mixture into a greased casserole dish* and spread evenly in the dish.
- Crumble the topping mixture evenly over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
You can use pretty much any size casserole dish for this recipe up to a 9×13 casserole dish.
To make this recipe ahead of time, prepare the filling and topping ingredients 1-2 days before you are going to bake and serve it. Pour sweet potato mixture into a greased 9×13 casserole dish and spread evenly in the dish. Cover and store the sweet poataoes in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake. Store the topping ingredients in a storage bag in the refrigerator and crumble over the sweet potatoes before baking.