I love love love slow cooker meals. LOVE them!! One of the main reasons I love them is because of the convenience. Being able to throw all the ingredients in a pot and let it cook during the day while you do the other million things you had to do that day is a great feeling.
The other reason I love slow cooker meals is because of the amount of flavor you can achieve when the food has been slow cooking all day. You just can’t beat it!
I was so excited when I first ran across the idea of slow cooker chicken fajitas. Genius! Mexican food is such a great candidate for the slow cooker because the typical ingredients in Mexican food have amazing flavor to begin with.
Onion, peppers, lime, cilantro, the list goes on and on. Put them all together and let them cook all day and their flavors are amplified. Mexican food is also amazing because it is usually really versatile allowing recipes to be easily modified to be allergy friendly.
I usually serve these on gluten free corn tortillas and they are delicious! This chicken fajita mix would make delicious nachos or be great all by themselves if you are avoiding grains completely.
Do you have recipes that work great in the slow cooker even though they are normally cooked differently? I’m always looking for more slow cooker meals so I can’t wait to hear about them! I hope you love these slow cooker chicken fajitas as much as my family does!
1 lb chicken breast
1 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
2 tbs diced green chiles
1 large pepper, cut into strips
1 red onion, cut into strips
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 lime, juiced
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and mix.
- Place tomatoes, chiles, pepper, onion, garlic, and lime in the slow cooker/Instant Pot.
- Coat both sides of the chicken breasts in the seasoning mixture and place in the slow cooker/Instant Pot.
- Push the chicken down into the tomato, onion, and pepper mixture until the chicken is coated.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours. If cooking in an Instant Pot, close the lid and make sure you are NOT venting. Select the Poultry setting which should be pre-programmed to cook for 20 minutes.
- When the chicken is done, cut it into strips or shred it.
- Serve on gluten free flour or corn tortillas, over some quinoa or rice, or just all by itself.
To Freeze and Cook Later
- Combine all ingredients in a gallon-sized plastic freezer bag and freeze for up to to three months.
- When ready to cook, thaw overnight in refrigerator.
- Follow cooking directions above.
For This Recipe, I Recommend:
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!